History of the St Agnes Head Lookout

 

1926 2nd Oct  –  Erected to replace building at St Agnes Beacon in use since 25th March 1914. Landlord Mr George Coulter Hancock.  Ground Rent £5 per annum

 

Watch – Constant

 

Communications – Coastal Communication Circuit (telephone) to Perranporth and Newquay Coastguard to east and Portreath Coastguard to west.  Later to Godrevy lighthouse

 

Exchange circuit fitted 3rd March 1927.  Telephone number St Agnes 20

 

1940 13th March – sleeping hut – wooden extension completed

 

1940 4th Aug – observation telephone fitted to Observer Corps, Truro

 

1940 14th November – protection shelter completed including concrete roof over lookout

 

1940 2nd December – telephone fitted in shelter

 

1942 22nd September – Radio Telephone installed by Marconi’s.  Copper disk aerial on east wall.

 

1951 1st July – watch reduced to occasional lookout and bad and thick weather watch

 

1972 April – Aerial for bantam radios fitted, later replaced by Westminster Radios

 

1982/3 – Scanner, barometer and wind speed indicator obtained from local funding – aerial extended by 8 feet

 

1990 24th May – Used for last incident as communications base

 

1990 25th May – ceremonial lowering of Coastguard ensign

 

1990 31st May – Final closure – operational equipment removed.  Flagstaff removed for erection at office/coast rescue store, British Road, St Agnes

 

1990 Nov – Handed to Carrick District Council as present ground landlord

 

1994 Feb – Building leased to radio amateurs

 

2004 – Radio amateurs give up lease – Building empty

 

2006 June – Area around St Agnes Head and building gifted to National Trust by Carrick District Council

 

2006 Aug – Lease granted to National Coastwatch Institution. St Agnes Head Group formed at same time.

 

2007 Apr – Watches commenced by National Coastwatch,  Saturdays and Sundays 8.00am to 8.00pm

 

2007 3rd Sept. – Equipment removed and building vacated by Coastwatch pending refurbishment by National Trust

 

2008 Jan – Due to discovery of mundic block in the walls and the unsafe condition of the building the National Trust take the decision to demolish existing building and replace with new structure

 

2008 June – Planning permission granted

 

2008 Sept – Old building knocked down and erection of replacement commenced.

 

2009 19th Jan – Handover of keys to National Coastwatch of new building

About

Currently 56 NCI stations are operational and manned by over 2500 volunteers keeping watch around the British Isles from Rossall  Point in the North West, through Wales, to the South and East of England to Hornsea in the East Riding of Yorkshire. 

NCI watchkeepers provide the eyes and ears along the coast, monitoring radio channels and providing a listening watch in poor visibility. They are trained to deal with emergencies offering a variety of skills and experience, and full training by the NCI ensures that high standards are met.

Contact


General enquiries
0300 111 1202

Media enquiries
0845 460 1202


[email protected]


17 Dean Street, Liskeard,
Cornwall, PL14 4AB